After completing her Ph.D. thesis on CPU scheduling from Penn State in 2002, Yanyong joined the ECE department of Rutgers University as an Assistant Professor. Shortly after that, she took an interest in sensor networks, and joined Winlab to be close to people who actually know networking and communications. She then spent the following years working in the area of sensor and wireless ad-hoc networking. When she got bored occasionally, she looked at failure predictions for large-scale parallel systems.
- B.S. Computer Science, University of Science and Technology of China, 1997
- Ph.D. Computer Science, Pennsylvania State University, 2002
- IBM Research Fellowship, 2001-2002 (27 recipients nationwide out of more than 250 applicants)
- Best Graduate Research Assistant Award in the CSE Department at Penn State for Outstanding Research, 2001
- Dean's Fellowship, College of Engineering, Penn State, 1997-2000
- Computer Architecture
- Operating Systems
- Parallel Computing
- Cluster Computer
- Performance Evaluation
- Sensor Networks
- T. Sun, B. Zan, Y. Zhang, M. Gruteser, "The Boomerang Protocol: Tieing Data to Geographic Locations in Vehicular Ad Hoc Networks," IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, July 2012.
- S. Zhou, Y. He, Y. Zhang, and R. Yuan, "Towards High-Performance Dedicated Control Channel in Multi-Radio Multi-Channel Networks," Journal of Convergence Information Technology, 6(2), pp. 7-18, 2011.
- P. Kamat, W. Xu, W. Trappe, Y. Zhang, "Temporal Privacy in Wireless Sensor Networks: Theory and Practice," ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks, 5(4), Nov 2009.
- W. Xu, W. Trappe, Y. Zhang, "Defending Wireless Sensor Networks from Radio Interference through Channel Adaptation," ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks, 4(4), pp. Aug 2008.
- J. Kang, Y. Zhang, B. Nath, "An Optimal Resource Control Scheme under Fidelity and Energy Constraints in Sensor Networks," Wireless Networks Journal (WINET), 15(4), May 2009.
- K. Ma, Y. Zhang, W. Trappe, "Managing Mobile Sensor Networks Using Network Dynamics", IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, 19(1), pp.106-120, January 2008.
- J. Kang, Y. Zhang, B. Nath, "TARA: Topology-Aware Resource Adaptation to Alleviate Congestion in Sensor Networks," IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, vol. 18, pp. 919-931, July 2007.
- T. Vu, A. Baid, Y. Zhang, T. Nguyen, J. Fukuyama, R. Martin and D. Raychaudhuri, "DMap: A Shared Hosting Scheme for Dynamic Identifier to Locator Mappings in the Global Internet," in Proceedings of the 32nd International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems, to appear.
- C. Xu, B. Firner, Y. Zhang, R. Howard and J. Li, "Improving RF-Based Device-Free Passive Localization In Cluttered Indoor Environments Through Probabilistic Classification Methods," in Proceedings of the 11th ACM/IEEE Conference on Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN).
- Tingting Sun, Yanyong Zhang, and Wade Trappe, "Improving Access Point Association Protocols Through Channel Utilization and Adaptive Probing," to appear in IEEE MASS, poster, 2011.
- B. Zan, T. Sun, M. Gruteser, F. Hu, and Y. Zhang, "A Privacy Preserving System for Friend Locator Applications," to appear in Proceedings of the 9th ACM International Symposium on Mobility Management and Wireless Access, Oct 2011.