Course catalog description: Multicore architecture, multicore CPU management, multicore job scheduling, thread synchronization, cache, coherency, multicore memory management, multicore file system, I/O.
Credits and contact hours: 3 credits; 1 hour and 20-minitue session, twice a week, every week.
Pre-Requisite courses: 14:332:331; 14:332:351 or 01:198:112
Co-Requisite courses: None
- Modern multi core computer architecture
- Process state, context switch, threads on multi core machines
- Multi core CPU scheduling
- Concurrency, synchronization, communication
- Virtual, memory, paging
- Cache coherency for multi core machines
- File structure, directories
- File system considerations for multi core
- I/O hardware and software
- I/O challenges for multi core
Textbook: Operating System Concepts by Silberschatz, Galvin, and Gagne
Other supplemental material: Parallel Computer Organization and design by Dubois, Annavaram, Stenstrom