Course catalog description: Design methods and laboratory experiments dealing with practical aspects of analog and digital communications schemes. Experiments involve component-level circuit construction, interconnection of modular subsystems, and use of interactive, graphics-based, system simulation software packages.
Credits and contact hours: 3 credits; 1 hour and 20-minute session twice a week, every week
Pre-Requisite courses: 14:332:322
Co-Requisite courses: None
- Time and Frequency Analysis; RMS, dBm levels: definition and measurement; Frequency response of active and passive linear circuits; Noise generator and adder circuits for S/N measurements
- Sinusoidal Oscillators and Tuned Circuits; Bandwidth and amplitude characteristics; Analog and digital crystal oscillators
- Balanced Modulators; Implementation using discrete components
- AM Modulation and Demodulation; DSB-SC, DSB-LC, approximation of ASK; IF amplifier stages; Envelope and synchronous detection; Single-sideband system simulation; Active bandpass intermediate frequency (IF) stages; Super heterodyne receivers
- Phase Locked Loops; VCO, phase detector, loop filter; Analog and digital implementation methods; PLL properties, effects of loop LPF bandwidth; PLL circuit analyses
- FM Modulation and Demodulation; PM, FM, approximation of FSK; Tuned circuit discriminator, PLL demodulation methods; FM transmitter and receiver system implementation, Simulation of FM communication systems using CAD methods
- Pulse Modulation; PWM - measurement of bandwidth, PAM - practical sampling and quantization noise, PCM - line coding techniques
- Digital Modulation and Demodulation Methods; ASK, FSK, PSK techniques; Measurement of spectral occupancy of modulated signals; Receiver front-end principles; Carrier recovery using PLL and Costas Loop
- Digital Data Transmission and Reception; Simulation of digital communication system performance using a communications CAD software package; QPSK modulator and demodulator circuit implementation; Measurement of prototype transmitter/receiver performance
Textbook: P. H. Young, Electronic Communication Techniques, Prentice-Hall; C. W. Sayre, Complete Wireless Design, McGraw Hill; J. G. Proakis, M. Salehi and G. Bauch, Contemporary Communication Systems Using MATLAB and Simulink, Thomson Engineering.
Other supplemental material:
- M. C.Jeruchim, P. Balaban and K. S. Shanmugan, Simulation of Communication Systems, Plenum Press.
- C. Bowick, RF Circuit Design, Newnes Publishing.
- S. R. Bullock, Transceiver and System Design for Digital Communications, Noble Publishing.
- K. McClaning and T. Vito, Radio Receiver Design, Noble Publishing.
- W. Tomasi, Advanced Electronic Communications Systems, Prentice-Hall, Inc.
- S. Haykin, Communication Systems, Fourth Edition, John Wiley and Sons, Inc.