Course catalog description: Principles of magnetic circuit concepts, transformers, DC machines, synchronous machines, induction machines, special purpose machines
Credits and contact hours: 3 credits; 1 hour and 20-minitue session, twice a week, every week.
Pre-Requisite courses: 14:332:222
Co-Requisite courses: None
- Introduction to the course, basic concepts, magnetic field, magnetic circuit, voltage/force induction, basic linear machine,
- Basic theory of transformer, equivalent circuits, open-circuit, short-circuit analysis, efficiency and phasor analysis, per-unit system, autotransformer, three phase transformer,
- Electromechanical energy conversion principles, Machine classification, AC machines, DC machines concepts
- DC machine fundamentals, voltage/torque induction, commutation, windings, power losses and analysis, inter-poles compensating windings, DC motor starting
- AC machine fundamentals, rotating magnetic field, MMF and flux distribution, induced voltage/torque, power flow and losses
- Polyphase synchronous generator, speed, equivalent circuit, phasor diagram, power and torque analysis, transients, operation of synchronous motors
- Induction motor, concepts, equivalent circuit, power, torque, speed analysis, motor starting, induction generator
Textbook: Electric Machinery Fundamentals by Stephen J. Chapman.
Other supplemental material: A. E. Fitzgerald, C. Kingsley, S. D. Umans, "Electric Machinery".