Course catalog description: History and principles of computer architecture. Computer organization, Assembly language and machine code, computer arithmetic, ALU design, computer performance, datapath and control, pipelining, memory hierarchy, I/O devices, multiprocessor architectures, and mobile and multicore processors.
Credits and contact hours: 3 credits; 1 hour and 20-minute session twice a week, every week
Pre-Requisite courses: 14:332:231 and 14:332:233
Co-Requisite courses: 14:332:333
- Introduction, history of computers, relation between hardware and software components of computer architecture. Computer Performance
- Power, why multi-core/ Assembly language instructions
- Assembly language instructions
- Computer arithmetic principles and hardware
- Computer arithmetic, Midterm
- Datapath and its control
- Microprocessor Pipelining
- Memory hierarchy
- Parallel Processors, Cloud
- Distributed architectures
Textbook: Patterson, David A. and Hennessy, John L., Computer Organization & Design, RISC-V Edition, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers.
Other supplemental material: class notes; extra readings.