Course catalog description: Binary arithmetic, Boolean algebra, K-maps, Combinational circuit synthesis, Combinational MSI circuits, Sequential logic, Synchronous state machine design, Sequential MSI circuits.
Credits and contact hours: 3 credits; 1 hour and 20-minute session twice a week, every week
Pre-Requisite courses: (14:440:127 or 01:198:111) and (01:640:152 or 01:640:154 or 01:640:192) and (01:750:124 or 01:750:116 or 01:750:201 or 01:750:203 or 01:750:271)
Co-Requisite courses: 14:332:233
- Organizational issues. Information revolution. Basic hardware concepts.
- Number systems, Binary addition, subtraction, Representation of negative numbers, 2’s complement addition/subtraction.
- Switching algebra, Theorems, Standard representation of logic functions.
- Combinational circuits, Truth table, Karnaugh maps, Minimization techniques.
- “Don’t care” inputs, Five variable Karnaugh maps, Timing hazards.
- Documentation standards, Input/output circuits, Buses.
- Encoders/Decoders. MUX/DMUX/XOR circuits.
- Comparators. Design examples with MSI. ALU and PLD circuits.
- Bi-stable elements. Latches and Flip-flops.
- State-machine design analysis and synthesis.
- State machine design examples.
- Transition lists and ASM charts, Sequential MSI circuits, Switch de-bouncing.
- Counters: serial and parallel, Design examples, Shift registers.
- Design of a one-lane traffic controller.
Textbook: J.F. Wakerly: Digital Design Principles & Practices, Prentice Hall.