Professor & Department Chair
Ph.D., Electrical and Computer Engineering,
Northeastern University, Boston MA, 1991
M.S.E.E., Electrical and Computer Engineering,
Northeastern University, Boston MA, 1986
Diploma in Electrical Engineering, National Technical University of Athens, Greece, 1986
Statistical signal processing - system identification; MIMO system estimation; blind source separation
Networking - cooperative protocols for wireless networks; physical layer security
Radar systems - compressive sensing based MIMO radars
Awards and Recognition
- IEEE Fellow
- 2012 IEEE Signal Processing Society Meritorious Service Award
- Great Master, UESTC China (2012)
- Member of IEEE Signal Processing Society Fellow Reference Committee (2012-2014)
- Member of IEEE PSPB Strategic Planning Committee (2013)
- Editor-In-Chief, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing (2009-2011)
- Plenary Speaker, 2009 IEEE Workshop on Statistical Signal Processing Cardiff, UK. Topic: Cooperative Beamforming for wireless communications
- Member of IEEE Technical Committee on Signal Processing Theory and Methods (2000-2005), (2009-2011)
- IEEE Signal Processing Society VP Conferences (2006-2009)
- 2005 IEEE Signal Processing Magazine Best Paper Award (co-recipient)
- Member-at-Large, IEEE Signal Processing Board of Governors (2004-2005)
- Presidential Faculty Fellow Award (The White House / NSF), 1995
- The Whitaker Foundation Award (1995)
Research Profile and Citations (per Google Scholar)
- D. Kalogerias and A. Petropulu, ``Matrix Completion in Colocated MIMO Radar: Recoverability, Bounds & Theoretical Guarantees," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, February 2014.
- Y. Yu, A. Petropulu and R. Madan, “Compressive Sensing for MIMO Urban Radar”, Chapter 12 in "Compressive Sensing for Urban Radars," Edited by M Amin, to appear in 2014.
- Y. Yu, S. Sun, A. Petropulu and R. Madan, ``Power Allocation and Waveform Design for the Compressive Sensing based MIMO Radar," IEEE Trans. on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, to appear in 2014.
- G. Zheng ; I. Krikidis,, J. Li ; A. Petropulu, B. Ottersten, "Improving Physical Layer Secrecy Using Full-Duplex Jamming Receivers," IEEE Trans. on IEEE Transactions , Vol. 61, Issue 20, pp. 4962 - 4974, 2013.
- Y. Liu, A. Petropulu, "Destination Assisted Cooperative Jamming for Wireless Physical Layer Security," IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics & Security, Vol. 8, Issue 4, pp. 682-694, 2013.
- S. Luo, J. Li, A. Petropulu, "Uncoordinated Cooperative Jamming for Secrecy Communications,"
IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics & Security, Vol. 8, Issue 7, pp. 1081-1090, 2013.
- Y. Liu, A. Petropulu, ``QoS Guarantees in AF Relay Networks with Multiple Source-Destination Pairs in the Presence of Imperfect CSI," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol. 12, Issue 9, pp. 4225-4235, 2013.
- H. Godrich, A. Petropulu and H. V. Poor, "Sensor Selection in Distributed Multiple-Radar Architectures for Localization: A Knapsack Problem Formulation," IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, Volume: 60 , Issue: 1. Page(s): 247 - 260, 2012.
- Y. Yu, A. P. Petropulu and H. V. Poor, "CSSF MIMO radar: Low-complexity compressive sensing based MIMO radar that uses step frequency," IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst., Vol. 48, Issue 2, pp. 1490 - 1504, 2012. Also available at http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1101/1101.2719v1.pdf
- J. Li and A. Petropulu, "Explicit Solution of Worst-Case Secrecy Rate for MISO Wiretap Channels with Spherical Uncertainty," IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, Apr. 2012.
- X. Yang and A. Petropulu, "Modeling of co-channel interference in wireless communications," chapter in “Classical, Semi-classical and Quantum Noise" (in honor of the contributions of David Middleton), Springer 2012.
- Y. Yu, A. Petropulu and H.V. Poor, "Measurement Matrix Design for Compressive Sensing-Based MIMO
Radar," IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, Vol. 59, Issue 11, pp. 5338 - 5352, 2011. Also available at http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1102/1102.5079v1.pdf
- Y. Liu and A. Petropulu, "On the sumrate of amplify-and-forward relay networks with multiple source-destination pairs," IEEE Trans. on Wireless Communications, Vol. 10 , Issue 11, Page(s): 3732 - 3742, 2011.
- J. Li and A. Petropulu, "Ergodic secrecy rate for Gaussian MIMO wiretap channels with Rician fading," IEEE Trans. on Information Forensics and Security, Vol. 6, Issue 3, Part 1, pp. 861 - 867, 2011.
- J. Li, A. Petropulu and S. Weber, ``Optimal cooperative relaying schemes for Improving wireless physical layer security," IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing}, Volume 59, Issue 10, pp. 4985 - 4997, 2011. Also available at: http://arxiv.org/abs/1001.1389v1
- H. Godrich, A. Petropulu and H. V. Poor, "Power allocation strategies for target localization in distributed multiple radar architectures," IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, Vol. 59, Issue 7, pp. 3226 - 3240, 2011.
- J. Li, A. Petropulu, "On ergodic secrecy capacity for Gaussian MISO wiretap channels," IEEE Trans. on Wireless Communications, Vol.10, Issue 4, pp. 1176 - 1187, 2011. A;so available at: http://arXiv:1003.2372v1
- J. Li, A. Petropulu and H.V. Poor, ``On cooperative beamforming based on second-order statistics of channel state information," IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, Vol: 59, March 2011, Page(s): 1280 - 1291.
- X. Liu, J. Kountouriotis, A. Petropulu and K. Dandekar, "ALOHA with collision resolution (ALOHA-CR): theory and software defined radio implementation," IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, Volume: 58 , Issue: 8, 2010, Page(s): 4396 - 4410.
- Y. Yu, A. Petropulu, H.V. Poor, "MIMO radar using compressive sampling," IEEE Journal on Selected Topics in SP, vol. 4(1), pp. 146 - 163, Feb. 2010.
- L. Dong, Z. Han, A. Petropulu, H.V. Poor, "Improving wireless physical layer security via cooperating relays," IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, Vol. 58(3), Part: 2, pp. 1875 - 1888, 2010.
- Y.Yu, S.Yatawatta and A.P. Petropulu, "A precoded OFDMA system with user cooperation," EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, 2010.
- Higher-Order Spectra Analysis: A Nonlinear Signal Processing Framework, C.L. Nikias and A.P. Petropulu. Prentice Hall, Oppenheim Series in Signal Processing, 1993.
athinap @ rutgers.edu