Director, Rutgers Discovery Informatics Institute (RDI2)
Co-Director, NSF Center for Autonomic Computing (CAC)
ACM Senior Member
Co-Editor-in-Chief, ACM Transactions on Autonomous and Adaptive Systems (TAAS)
- Ph.D. Computer Engineering, Syracuse University, 1994
- M.S. Computer Engineering, Syracuse University, 1994
- B.E. Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering, Bombay University, India, 1988
- Computational and Data-Intensive Science and Engineering
- Applied Parallel & Distributed Computing (Cloud, Grid, HPC)
- Autonomic Computing, Extreme-scale Computing
- Pervasive Computational Ecosystems
Awards and Recognitions
- Panelist at the Congressional briefing on The Cloud of Things: The Next Phase of Computing at the Congressional Research & Development Caucus co-chaired by Judy Biggert (R-Ill.) and Rush Holt (D-N.J.), September 2011.
- Top Cited Article 2005 – 2010, “A Concise Introduction to Autonomic Computing,” Advanced Engineering Informatics, Elsevier Publishers, Vol, 19, No. 3, pp. 181 – 187, 2005.
- Winner of the 4th IEEE International Scalable Computing Challenge (SCALE 2011), “A Scalable Ensemble-based Oil-Reservoir Simulations using Blue Gene/P-as-a-Service”, May 2011.
- Outstanding Leadership Award, IEEE Technical Committee on Scalable Computing, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011.
- Outstanding Service Award, IEEE Technical Committee on Parallel Processing, 2009, 2010, 2011
- IBM Faculty Award, 2008, 2010.
- Best Paper Award, Critical Perspectives on Large-Scale Distributed Applications and Production Grids,10th IEEE/ACM International Conference on Grid Computing (Grid 2009), Banff, Canada, October 2009.
- Australian Computer Society (ACS), Australian National Committee on Computation and Automatic Control.
- (ANCCAC) 2006 Best Paper Published Prize for Cooperative Defense against DDoS Attacks, 2006.
- Tewkesbury Fellowship, University of Melbourne, Australia, 2006.
- Rutgers University Board of Trustees Award for Excellence in Research, 2004 2005.
- Distinguished Speaker, IEEE Distinguished Visitors Program (DVP), 2004 2006.
- Distinguished Fellow, Texas Institute for Computation and Applied Mathematics, University of Texas at Austin, 1999, 2000, 2001.
- CAREER Award, National Science Foundation of the United States, 2000 2004.
- Enrico Fermi Scholarship, Argonne National Laboratory, 1996-1997.
Selected Recent Keynotes
- “From Data to Insights - Addressing Data Challenges in Simulation-based Science,” Keynote at the Australasian Computer Science Week 2012 (ACSW2012), Melbourne, Australia, January-February, 2012.
- “Moving Beyond IT Outsourcing – Can Clouds Transform Science?” Keynote at the 4th IEEE/ACM International Conference on Utility and Cloud Computing (UCC 2012), Melbourne, Australia, December 2012.
- “Computational Science and Engineering & Clouds,” 7th High Performance Grid Computing Workshop (HPGC 2010), In conjunction with 24th International Parallel and Distributed Computing Symposium (IPDPS 2010), Atlanta, GA, USA, April 2010.
- “Addressing Complexity in Emerging Cyber-Ecosystems - Exploring the Role of Autonomic in E-Science,” 5th EGEE User Forum, Uppsala, Sweden, April 2010.
Selected Recent Grants
- “Scalable Data Management, Analysis, and Visualization (SDAV) Institute,” Department of Energy (DoE), 02/12 – 02/17.
- Combustion Exascale Co-Design Center,” Department of Energy (DoE), 12/11 – 11/16.
- “Trusted Content and Context Aware Management and Processing of Managed Information Objects,” USAF, AFMC, Air Force Research Laboratory, 09/11 – 08/13.
- “Center for Plasma Edge Simulation,” Department of Energy (DoE), SciDAC FSP, 01/05 – 12/11.
- “An Instrumented Data Center Infrastructure for Research on Cross-Layer Autonomics,” NSF CRI, 07/09 – 06/12.
- “Center for Autonomic Computing,” NSF I/UCRC, 01/08 – 01/13.
- “Computational Models for Evaluating Long Term CO2 Storage in Saline Aquifers,” NSF CDI, 09/08 – 08/12.
Selected Recent Publications
“Enabling In-situ Execution of Coupled Scientific Workflow on Multi-core Platform,” F. Zhang, C. Docan, M. Parashar, S. Klasky, N. Podhorszki, and H. Abbasi, Proceedings of the 26th IEEE International Parallel & Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS 2012), Shanghai, China, May 2012.
“Leveraging Cloud Federation in a Layered Service Stack Model,” D. Villegas, I. Rodero, A. Devarakonda, Y. Liu, N. Bobroff, L. Fong, S.M. Sadjadi, M. Parashar, Journal of Computer and System Sciences, Special Issue on Cloud Computing, Elsevier Press, January 2012, DOI http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022000011001620
“Enabling Multi-Physics Coupled Simulations within the PGAS Programming Framework,” F. Zhang, C. Docan, M. Parashar and S. Klasky, Proceedings of the 11th IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster, Cloud, and Grid Computing (CCGrid 2011), Newport Beach, CA, USA, May 2011.
“Moving the Code to the Data - Dynamic Code Deployment using ActiveSpaces,” C. Docan, M. Parashar, J. Cummings and S. Klasky, Proceedings of the 25th IEEE International Parallel & Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS 2011), Anchorage, Alaska, USA, May 2011.
“Dynamic Decision and Data-Driven Strategies for the Optimal Management of Subsurface Geo-systems,” M. Parashar, H. Klie, T. Kurc, U. Catalyurek, J. Saltz, M. F. Wheeler, Journal of Algorithms & Computational Technology, Multi-Science Publishers, Vol. 5, No. 4, pp. 645 – 665. 2011.
“Autonomic Management of Applications Workflows on Hybrid Computing Infrastructure,” H. Kim, Y. el-Khamra, I. Rodero, S. Jha, and M. Parashar, Scientific Programming Journal, Special Issue on Science-driven Cloud Computing, IOS Press. Vol. 19, No. 2-3, pp. 75 – 89, June 2011.
“DataSpaces: An Interaction and Coordination Framework for Coupled Simulation Workflows,” C. Docan, M. Parashar and S. Klasky, Cluster Computing: The Journal of Networks, Software Tools, and Applications, Kluwer Academic Publishers, DOI: 10.1007/s10586-011-0162-y, 2011.
“Proactive Thermal Management in Green Datacenters,” E. K. Lee, I. Kulkarni, D. Pompili, M. Parashar, Journal of Supercomputing, Special Issue on Energy-efficient High-Performance Parallel and Distributed Computing, Springer, DOI: 10.1007/s11227-010-0453-8, 2010.
“A Programming System for Sensor-based Scientific Applications,” N. Jiang and M. Parashar, Journal of Computational Science, Elsevier, DOI:10.1016/j.jocs.2010.07.006. 2010.
“Enabling High Speed Asynchronous Data Extraction and Transfer Using DART,” C. Docan, M. Parashar and S. Klasky, Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience, John Wiley and Sons, Vol. 22, Issue 9, pp. 1181 – 1204, March 2010.
J Advanced Computational Infrastructures for Parallel and Distributed Applications, M. Parashar, X. Li and S. Chandra, John Wiley and Sons, ISBN: 978-0-470-07294-3, 517 Pages, January 2010.
Autonomic Communication, A. V. Vasilakos, M. Parashar, S. Karnouskos, W. Pedrycz, Springer Science-Business Media, ISBN-10: 038709752X, ISBN-13: 978-0387097527, 374 Pages, September 2009.
Robust Clustering Analysis for the Management of Self-Monitoring Distributed Systems, A. Quiroz*, N. Gnanasambandam, M. Parashar, and N. Sharma, Cluster Computing: The Journal of Networks, Software Tools, and Applications, Special Issue on Autonomic Computing, Kluwer Academic Publishers, (DOI:10.1007/s10586-008-0068-5), Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 73-85, 2009.
parashar @ rutgers.edu