Undergraduate Research

Special Problems / Independent Research

The possibility of taking Special Problems/Independent Research exists only if the student is not on academic probation.

To do special problems/independent research, one needs to discuss with a faculty member in the area of interest to the student. The interests of our faculty members can be found   HERE.  Once the student has a viable project after consulting a faculty member, a page or so description of the project along with its technical title needs to be submitted electronically to the undergraduate director. Also, an application form for special problems can be found at the ECE website at:


This form appropriately filled and then signed by the advisor (the professor with whom research work is conducted) must be submitted to the undergraduate director. Alternatively, the professor can send the undergraduate director an e-mail instead of signing the application form, stating explicitly that he/she agrees to advise the student. Once this is done, a Special Permission number to register for special problems/independent research will be given by the undergraduate director.

At the end of independent research, one needs to write a technical report, and be submitted to the undergraduate director as well as to the research advisor who is responsible assigning a grade to the work done.

One can acquire up to 6 credits (a maximum of 3 credits per semester) of independent research credits towards graduation requirements as Departmental or technical electives. Those students who are following the  Slade Scholar Program  can acquire up to 12 credits of independent research credits, 6 credits of which must be on the same topic.

For further details about Special Problems or Independent Research, please contact the Undergraduate Director Prof. Hana Godrich